General comments on PlayerPro

Any topic you would like to share and that is not covered by other forums.

General comments on PlayerPro

Postby wapz » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:08 pm

I've been using several different players on my HTC Hero running CM6.1(2.2.1) and I figured maybe I should share why I use it and think it is the best, what bothers me very slighty and what I see missing. I hope it is of any use :-)

- A decent 2x2 widget that looks nice with transparency for the text.
- The main player looks professional, not like Mortplayer or PowerAMP that I think look quite tacky.
- Unlike many other players it uses relatively little cpu resources, since some others really slow down the phone while for example scrolling through homescreens.
- A dedicated button in the now player screen to go to the library instead of having to push the menu button first (it could be a bit bigger, though, just like the now player button on the bottom while selecting music).

Some things that slighty bother me:
- That the album art scrolling is not very smooth while scrolling unless the Artwork async load option is selected, but this only loads the pictures after you've stopped over the text the first time you scroll across them. Maybe nice to be able to switch to text-only view for devices that have trouble handling the big amount of pictures for example for the artists pane which might make selection of certain things quicker or make sure this will be smoother on all devices 8-)
- Maybe it would be nice if we could swap the order of the segments in the library or the ability set a preference of which tab opens first everytime you browse to the library (if you use folders for example you always have to switch to the folders tab on the right).

What features would make it a more mature player:
- Ability to use volume button holddown to start playing and skip tracks even when the screen is locked (like the newly released WinAMP), which is very useful if you quickly want to skip without having to look or use the screen.
- Gapless playback using MP3s. Not sure if PlayerPro depends on playback features built-in to Android which doesn't support this expect for OGG (since the codec itself has built-in support for it when ripped), but for live albums this is quite annoying.
- Ability to fade out a song when skipped within a second for example, so that skipping a song becomes less intrusive for your ears when listening using headphones. This is a feature I loved when using rockbox a long time ago.

Hope you like some of my comments/suggestions, thanks for creating it in the first place! :-)
wapz

Re: General comments on PlayerPro

Postby playerpro » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:46 am

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. It's appreciated.

Few points:

1/ Scrolling. I have some ideas to try and improve the scrolling for big libraries (for smaller libraries, everything gets cached in memory after first scroll). I haven't had time to test them. Will try to find some time in the coming month, depending on priorities.
For less powerful phones, there is an option in the "artist browser settings" to deactivate the display of artist pictures. In this case, the scrolling reachs around 50 fps (Nexus one device), whereas the maximum theoritical fps rate is ~60 for that same phone. There is no way to go above that level. Even the contact application shipped by google doesn't do better :-).

2/ Tab ordering: you can drag drop the order of the browsers in the tab. I'm not sure everybody is aware of this. So I prefer to mention it :-).
Regarding the default tab that opens when you launch the application, PlayerPro will always open the tab that was active when you quit the application or left the browser view for the last time. You also have the ability to deactivate some browsers in the settings. So for example, if you only use one browser (the folder one for e.g.), you can deactivate all others. This will have for effect to hide the button bar tab at the top. The button bar only shows when at least two browsers are active.

3/ Use volume buttons to switch songs: this is an option in the lock screen settings. You can also chose whether long press should control the volume (and single press next/prev songs) or the other way around (check out the "Reverse volume button actions" option).

4/ Gapeless playback. This will definitely be done in the future. Not sure when exactly. People are asking for other features in priority :-).

5/ Fading of songs. I'll give it some thinking.

Thks && Rgds,
Tristan
playerpro

Postby wapz » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Thanks for the reply! :-)

1. Scrolling.
Just found the new option to change between grid and list, and found that scrolling using lists with artists works a lot smoother on my HTC Hero (now running FroydVillian 1.6 btw). It however lags a bit still on the first load so it would be good if it would pre-cache it so it would always be nice and smooth, makes the app a lot sexier in daily usage Ithink!

2. Tab Ordering.
Great that you can now disable tabs and move them as well! Never realised that was possible, excellent, just what it needed.

3. Volume buttons.
Got the volume button skipping and volume working fine now. Much more useful compared to the widget options in my opinion!

4. Gapless playback.
This would however make your player unique compared to the many others for Android out there. When people ask me how are the media players on Android I usually tell them as an example that even gapless isn't supported in any of the ones I've used (a feature that has been standard on MP3 players for years, to be honest).

5. Fading
Another one of these items that makes it a bit more sophisticated and I used to love on Rockbox.

So far keep it up with the great updates, it gets better every time, much appreciated!
wapz

Postby mrxrsd » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:41 am

I think PlayerPro is now the best player on the market but would be great if you remove all internal skins keeping only one to reduce apk size.
mrxrsd

Postby playerpro » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi there,

This is exactly what I intend to do :-). I wanted to do it in 1.20 release. But was late on it. So it will be probably be done in next release 1.21.

Keep tuned !

Thks && Rgds,
Tristan
playerpro

*** Ratings ***

Postby monkeyman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:37 am

Hi, your player looks really awesome and I would really like to try it out but I haven't installed it because it is absolutely critical for me to have access to some sort of Ratings System that I could synchronize with my PC. I have 15gigs of Music and there is no way I could manage it without a rating system.

Right now, that leaves me two choices: doubleTwist or Meridian. I've been using doubleTwist since I got my Android but I'm very unhappy with it. It's always on the verge of breaking down, their software is wonky at the best of time. Despite all of this, they've managed to land a contract with T-Mobile and their player will be bundled with all future T-Mobile phones. It is not a coincidence, it's because a lot of people want a Rating system for their music, synchronization and next to nobody is doing this on Android.

Suggestion of a Ratings and Synchronization System:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't have to do like Apple or DoubleTwist and write your own PC Music Player to manage ratings, playlists and synchronize with the phone. You can go with Songbird which as far as I'm concerned is far superior to either doubleTwist or iTunes. It has the ability to export and import iTunes Libraries. It takes extensions that would be quite straight forward to write. You could just write a Songbird extension that synchronizes Music Files, Pictures, Videos, Playlists and Ratings with Music Player Pro on the Android Phone. The ratings can be stored in an SQLite file on the phone. There are extensions that are already on the Songbird market that are open source that you can potentially modify the code to come up with 80% of the code you need (if you accept the terms of GPL). The first is called FolderSync, it syncronizes Media Files with directories that the users already specify. It also writes m3u playlists. The second is called RatingFile, it exports the Ratings of the Songbird library to a srf file. Potentially, you can combine these two codes to come with something specifically tailored for Music Player Pro. Songbird is available on Windows, Mac and a Linux version of Songbird called Nightingale is in the works.
monkeyman

Postby playerpro » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the requests and suggestions.

As you can imagine, there are many different players (wmp, winamp, mediamonkey, songbird, itunes etc etc) that all have different ways of storing/handling ratings. It would be impossible for me to implement a syncing mechanism for each of them.

What I will implement though is the ability for PlayerPro to interface with existing syncing apps (e.g. Isyncr for itunes and hopefully equivalents of it for other players in the future) or open up PlayerPro to offline syncing mechanisms (i.e. via import/export files). A good example of the latter is the FolderSync plugin for SongBird. This "offline" syncing mechanism will definitely be supported by PlayerPro.

Keep tuned !

Thks && Rgds,
Tristan
playerpro

Postby jdg » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:04 pm

playerpro wrote:As you can imagine, there are many different players (wmp, winamp, mediamonkey, songbird, itunes etc etc) that all have different ways of storing/handling ratings. It would be impossible for me to implement a syncing mechanism for each of them.

I don't know if it's possible, but many people have last.fm account. For me it would be fabulous to synchronize stats from last.fm for music I have on my mobile and create automatic playlists like: "Top 50 - Last Month", "Top Albums - Last Month" and many other better combinations.

And big thanks for your work! The best player for Android.

Greetings.
jdg

Postby playerpro » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi,

Thks for the suggestion. Would be nice indeed. I'll keep it in my TODO list.

Thks && Rgds,
Tristan
playerpro

Postby wapz » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:53 am

playerpro wrote:1/ Scrolling. I have some ideas to try and improve the scrolling for big libraries (for smaller libraries, everything gets cached in memory after first scroll). I haven't had time to test them. Will try to find some time in the coming month, depending on priorities.
For less powerful phones, there is an option in the "artist browser settings" to deactivate the display of artist pictures. In this case, the scrolling reachs around 50 fps (Nexus one device), whereas the maximum theoritical fps rate is ~60 for that same phone. There is no way to go above that level. Even the contact application shipped by google doesn't do better :-).

Thks && Rgds,
Tristan

Hi Tristan,

I've started using "Remote for iTunes" which lists my whole music directory on my pc, and the scrolling is wonderfully smooth in that app. You should give it a try to see how well it works, it would be a dream if your app could scroll as slick as that one :-)
wapz

Next

Return to General discussions