Ratings don't get written to MP3 files.

Any topic you would like to share and that is not covered by other forums.

Ratings don't get written to MP3 files.

Postby zopfan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:09 pm

If I rate a song 3 star in MMW and copy it to my android mobile.
Then play that song in PPAndroid, and change the rating of that song to 1 star (after changing its rating system either to PPro or to MM).

And when I move that song back to windows PC, I find that it still has 3 stars only (and in some rare cases, the ratins are stripped of the song also).

Can someone help? (I'm a Player Pro pro user).

PlayerPro SHOULD OFFER PAID HELP (Music listeners can surely pay for some particular trouble that is killing them)

And, why can't we select all the tracks in one go in (Smart) Playlists?
zopfan

Re: Ratings don't get written to MP3 files.

Postby zopfan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:01 pm

In other words, PPA doesn't write the ratings to songs' tags. I've even tried diff 'Rating System' in PPA settings. Even when I choose 'Export Music Stats' (this options just export the stats to an xml file, but doesn't export ratings to files tags).

Although, if I chose PP rating system, it shows the new ratings which I've given in PP only. But as soon as I copy/move that song to Windows, there I find that the song still has the original rating (which it had when I had originally copied that song from PC to my android mobile).

Can anyone help? I'm using the latest android version of PlayerPro.

PlayerPro SHOULD OFFER PAID HELP (Music listeners can surely pay for some particular trouble that is killing them)

zopfan

Postby ForSerious » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:52 pm

PlayerPro stores and references an internal database for ratings. You can export the music library to an xml file that has all the ratings in it. If you wanted to synchronize those ratings with your computer, you would need to import that xml file in your music player on your computer. The format may or may not be compatible.
I realize this in not super easy, but it's more than nothing.
ForSerious

Postby zopfan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:30 am

ForSerious wrote:PlayerPro stores and references an internal database for ratings. You can export the music library to an xml file that has all the ratings in it. If you wanted to synchronize those ratings with your computer, you would need to import that xml file in your music player on your computer. The format may or may not be compatible.
I realize this in not super easy, but it's more than nothing.

But PlayerPro has an option to write MediaMonkey (type/format) ratings directly to MP3 files. What about that option?

zopfan

Postby ForSerious » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:40 am

Riddle me this: Where?
The only option I see that says Media Monkey is in the rating system selection. Settings > Music Library > Rating System. As far as I can tell, that is just so PlayerPro will treat ratings in the same way that those programs treat them. (And in that case, does one of them use a ten star rating system. That would be totally better than just five stars.)
ForSerious

Postby ForSerious » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:59 am

So I did a quick search about MediaMonkey ratings. I like their idea, but PlayerPro does not do any such thing. At best, it will show the star rating of a song with MediaMonkey rating information in the metadata tag.
The logic being that once a song is on your mobile phone, it will not be coming off again and replacing the master copy on a computer.

I made a little java command line program that reads the exported xml file from PlayerPro and updates the tags in my master copies. I only did it for play counts, but I could add ratings pretty easy.
ForSerious

Postby zopfan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:00 am

No, rather its opposite. Mobile copy often has the latest ratings and play/skip counts.
So, there should be a way to synch back these metadata from mobile to PC.

Currently there is a work around. Export ratings & play/skip count from/by PlayerPro in songbird.xml format. Copy/move that exported file from mobile to PC (by whatever means). In Media Monkey, (install and) run the script "Import Music Stats XML", browse to the location of that xml file. Now MMWindows will have the latest ratings and play count.

And when MMW has the latest metadata, and you want that metadata to synch to mobile. Than you'll have to buy MMA and synch thru that app (over wifi) to MMW (I'm not going to explain that method here, may be some other time). That method has been explained in other posts amply here around these forums.

zopfan

Postby ForSerious » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:02 pm

Thank you.
I stand corrected.
Setting the rating mode to MediaMonkey does in fact write the rating to the metadata tag. Because it does this, it interrupts the playback and flashes a message about not being able to play this type of file. I don't have any mp3 so I only tried on ogg and wma. Wma did not show the message just stopped playing after about 20 seconds. Anyway it updated both formats.

From a developer standpoint, just off the top of my head, a workaround for this would be to store the rating in the database, then once the song is done playing, sync the rating to the metadata.

I am on Android 6.
ForSerious

Return to General discussions