Release Year

Any topic you would like to share and that is not covered by other forums.

Release Year

Postby philvt101 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 am

Is there any way to display the release year either in the library or on the player screen. As it is the only way to tell the year is to open the show details option.
philvt101

Re: Release Year

Postby ForSerious » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 am

I was hoping someone else would know how this is supposed to work.
I've been trying to make a auto playlist for 80s songs, but as far as I can tell PlayerPro doesn't know how to read the year field correctly, or maybe I need to put the limit to something less than 1000.
ForSerious

Re: Release Year

Postby jackpots » Wed May 22, 2019 10:08 pm

I always hate when folks post replies like this, "It works for me." :-) However, you may be correct and incorrect at the same time.

I use FLAC and MP3 (ID3v2.3 only for compatibility) files. I do not use ID3 v2.4 but do use some of it fields and some Itunes' ones as well (ADVISORY). ID3v2.3 'YEAR' field, if memory serves, is intended for RECORDING YEAR which in most cases is equivalent or close enough to the RELEASE YEAR. In ID3v2.4 the field for RELEASE YEAR is TCRY (which I do use often for Greatest Hits compilations and such).

In PlayerPro smart-playlists, to restrict to 1980s music, use one rule 'YEAR greater than 1979' and another 'YEAR less than 1990.' Done.

For most folks, the problem rests with tagging properly. For that, I recommend MP3tag, free and best of breed.
jackpots

Return to General discussions