PleryPro does not see the external SD card

You can post all your bug reports here. Make sure to include a maximum of information to help ease the investigation.

PleryPro does not see the external SD card

Postby Tuco80 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:28 am

I bought the full version as it seemed like the best option and it definitely had features that I felt was OK to pay for. However, that all seems useless if I cannot play my music from the external microSD card. It claims music can be played from any folder, including external SD cards, but it's just not working for me. I have tried several things I found all over the internet for similar problems with this and other music players, but nothing fixed the issue.

Please advise how this can be fixed, or if it's a known issue you are working on fixing, I'd really like to get my money's worth.

PlayerPro version: 2.5 (dec 16th 2012)
Android version: 4.1.2
Phone Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300)
Kernel Version: 3.0.31-764725
se.infra@SEP-78#1
Tuco80

Re: PleryPro does not see the external SD card

Postby giolla_chriost » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:34 am

I have this problem, too. I love the features and was about to purchase the full version, until it stopped seeing my external sd card. The only difference is that I have the trial version, and the problem appears to be intermittent.

There are a few "diagnostic" clues I can add in my own situation, but I'm not yet at a solution and can still use some advice.

First, the problem does not appear to be isolated to PlayerPro. I have the following music players on my phone: HTC's default Music Player, Google Play Music, JetAudio Basic, PlayerPro (Trial), DoubleTwist and PowerAmp. When PlayerPro experiences the issue, so do the HTC, Google and JetAudio players, but DoubleTwist and PowerAmp are unaffected. I also have ES File Explorer which is unaffected and can still browse through the external SD card file system. In fact, when I traverse to a music file and choose PlayerPro to play it, it works just fine even though PlayerPro cannot see the external card in its own browsing UI.

Second, there appears to be a precipitating event that triggers the "recovery" of the external sd card. I have iSyncr on my phone for synchronizing with an iTunes library on a Windows PC. Shortly before the external sd card "came back" in PlayerPro on one occasion, iSyncr posted a notification stating "Android's media scanner is looking for new media." A couple minutes later, I saw that the native Android "Media" application started an internal "MediaDBMigrationService". This was immediately followed (1 second later) by iSyncr starting its internal "SyncService". I believe it was right after these events that the external SD card became visible again to PlayerPro (and the other affected media players).

I am not sure if this is a problem with my phone, but again, it does not appear to be specific to PlayerPro, but rather something to do with Android's Media service.

I'll post an update if I can determine appropriate corrective action should the external SD card "go dark" again. But any advice from the PlayerPro forum is appreciated.

PlayerPro version: 2.62 (10 Feb 2013)
Android version: 4.0.3
Phone: HTC Amaze
Kernel Version: 3.0.16-ga4fb83c
htckernel@u18000-build-144 #1

iSyncr version: 4.0.6
giolla_chriost

Postby giolla_chriost » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:57 pm

The issue was with an update from iSyncr. I uninstalled the app completely and the issue was resolved: PlayerPro and other players could again see the external SD card storage. I reinstalled iSyncr a week or so later, a newer update, 4.0.7. The players can still see the external SD card.
giolla_chriost

Postby INathan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 pm

FINALLY, THE SOLUTION!

I scoured all over internet trying to solve the issue of any media player finding music from neither SD Card (internal nor external), even though file explorers did, so I will be posting this on every relevant thread I find.

This method worked for me, so results may vary:

1- Download Rescan Media (I used the root version):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... root&hl=en

2- Download Media scanner:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... root&hl=en

3- Go to Settings / Applications / All / Media Storage and clear data

4- Reboot

5- Open Rescan media and disable the media scanner

6- Now re-enable it

7- Now, open Media scanner and tap Start scanning

8- Voilá, now every player will recognize the music stored on both SD Cards.

*As I said, this method worked for me, so maybe just some of the steps above were necessary, but... anyway.

Good luck!
INathan

Postby spookalilly » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 am

MUCH simpler solution. Thanks to Giolla for the clues.

You've changed your phone's USB mode to PTP ("camera" or mass storage). If you change it back to MTP (Media Device) - hey presto, PlayerPro can see the extSDCard again.

On the Galaxy S3, and probably others, you can change it simply by plugging it into a PC - and from the notifications bar, press the "(USB symbol) - Connected as a *** device", and be sure to select "Media Device (MTP)".

(If you need to use the phone in PTP mode, I assume you will lose the extSDCard with PlayerPro until you switch it back, so just remember to do so before disconnecting from the computer).
spookalilly

Return to Bug reports