Shuffle doesn't appear to be very random

You can post all your bug reports here. Make sure to include a maximum of information to help ease the investigation.

Re: Shuffle doesn't appear to be very random

Postby Felix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Bazaboy1980 wrote:I too noticed this a while ago. In fact, it was immediately after v2.6 was released back at the beginning of Feb '13. According to the changelog for v2.6,

•New shuffle algorithm:
- Songs are not repeated until all songs are played once.
- Positions in the shuffle list are remembered: going backward in the shuffle list and then forward will playback the same songs.

What I'm taking from this, and various testing I've done, is that it looks as though this new algorithm takes the list of tracks from your playlist or entire library (whatever you've selected), randomizes them, and places them into another temporary list. It then uses this temp list, which means it's simple to skip back and forward through the "shuffled" tracks, and the same ones will be played. Which is all well and good until it loses it's place in that list.

EG:
I have a playlist of about 200 songs. I tend to listen to them when commuting to and from work. I'll listen to tracks A, B, C, D, E, F, and half of G in the morning. Then in the evening, it'll resume the playing of track G, then play tracks C, D, E, F, G, H, and I. Which leaves me thinking "hang on... I've already listened to this", skip to the next track, "I've listened to this too", etc etc.

As was mentioned by the OP, this never happened before this new algorithm was introduced; in fact, I always thought the shuffle in Player Pro was one of the better shuffle's, as it seemed to play all tracks before starting over again, but not in the same order, which is what I would expect from a shuffle function.

I respectfully request that the shuffle algorithm is returned to it's original state, pre feb '13.

This.
Felix

Postby Alban » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:26 pm

Felix wrote:
Bazaboy1980 wrote:I too noticed this a while ago. In fact, it was immediately after v2.6 was released back at the beginning of Feb '13. According to the changelog for v2.6,

•New shuffle algorithm:
- Songs are not repeated until all songs are played once.
- Positions in the shuffle list are remembered: going backward in the shuffle list and then forward will playback the same songs.

What I'm taking from this, and various testing I've done, is that it looks as though this new algorithm takes the list of tracks from your playlist or entire library (whatever you've selected), randomizes them, and places them into another temporary list. It then uses this temp list, which means it's simple to skip back and forward through the "shuffled" tracks, and the same ones will be played. Which is all well and good until it loses it's place in that list.

EG:
I have a playlist of about 200 songs. I tend to listen to them when commuting to and from work. I'll listen to tracks A, B, C, D, E, F, and half of G in the morning. Then in the evening, it'll resume the playing of track G, then play tracks C, D, E, F, G, H, and I. Which leaves me thinking "hang on... I've already listened to this", skip to the next track, "I've listened to this too", etc etc.

As was mentioned by the OP, this never happened before this new algorithm was introduced; in fact, I always thought the shuffle in Player Pro was one of the better shuffle's, as it seemed to play all tracks before starting over again, but not in the same order, which is what I would expect from a shuffle function.

I respectfully request that the shuffle algorithm is returned to it's original state, pre feb '13.

This.

Unfortunately the problem still seems to be present in the latest version 4.9.
I have a playlist of about 500 songs and I feel I still hear the same, sometimes even several times in the same hour. I remember with nostalgia of version 2.x where the random was just perfect ... sniff.
Alban

Postby Shakie » Tue May 19, 2020 5:55 am

The same is for me.
I want to play my 5000 Songs in shuffle but it seems to play always the same 50-100 songs.

Especially when there is a long pause until next use of the player (e.g. sleeping) it seems to play the same songs like the day before.

Please fix it.

Btw.: I love this player!!! Thanks for this great app.
Shakie

Previous

Return to Bug reports