Unwanted duplication of on disk playlist

You can post all your bug reports here. Make sure to include a maximum of information to help ease the investigation.

Unwanted duplication of on disk playlist

Postby rainer042 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:01 am

Hello,
I run PlayerPro 5.0 on my android system. In my Music folder I have a subfolder with several .m3u playlist files I create and manage outside of PlayerPro. The files are overwritten every now and then but the files always have the same names.
In PlayPro I can see these playlist but the problem is that I see every playlist file six times now. Before this I manually deleted my .m3u playlist in the playlist view of PlayerPro . After a reboot of my mobile they were recreated but each file 6 times with exactly the same name. Since each playlist file has a file name that does not change I would not expect a playlist to appear more than once. This problem also happened before the smart playlist restore feature but I think those days each playlist was "only" present in three incarnations. But after all I do not understand why this happens at all since each playlist has a unique name .

It would be good if this bug could be fixed and playlist management could be improved to avoid this strange effect.

Thanks
Rainer
rainer042

Re: Unwanted duplication of on disk playlist

Postby therealjoeblow » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:58 pm

It's not PlayerPro doing that. It's the Android media store system. PlayerPro is just showing you the playlists that Android has created and stored in the media database. You will see the same duplication in any media player that uses the system media database (Xperia Music, JetAudio, etc).

Essentially, Android is a unix system. When you first add a .m3u file to you storage, the media scanner picks that up, and enters the data into the media database, and then flags the playlist as having been entered so that it doesn't get added again when the media scanner runs next (basically the .m3u file is ignored from then on). But if you modify the .m3u file in any way, then the "ignore" flag is removed and it will be rescanned and entered as a new playlist, with the same name.

So that's how you are getting duplication, from the Android system, not from the player itself.

Cheers
TRJB
therealjoeblow

Postby rainer042 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:50 am

Hello,

thanks for the explanation. So there is no remedy for this problem?

If the media database contains several playlists with the same name there must be some criteria in the db (auto increment, unique id, timestamp, ...) they can be distinguished by . Perhaps a select on such a unique criteria could allow a player to show only the latest incarnation of a playlist which would solve this problem that I think no one really considers to be a helpful feature.

At the moment the playlist coming from the .m3u files are actually hardly usable because you never know which one of those 5 lists with the same names is the latest one I actually want to play?

Thanks
Rainer
rainer042

Postby rainer042 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Hello,

just installed PowerAmp player. This player can read and interpret .m3u files directly and also can import the android music database for android managed play lists. Using PowerAmp I have no problems playing my .m3u playlists and of course each playlist is exactly shown one time because the list is based on the corresponding .m3u file in my Music folder.

Perhaps this is an option for PlayerPro as well? To me it seem to be a clean and good way to handle/avoid the m3u playlist duplication problem in android.

Of course I would like to stay with PlayerPro but I also like to listen to my playlists so I hope that in the end there will be a solution to .m3u playlists in PlayerPro.

Have a nice day
Rainer
rainer042

Return to Bug reports