Smarter playlists

You may post all your suggestions and requests here.

Smarter playlists

Postby volker-wysk » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Hello!

Fist I want to thank the PlayerPro developers. I've tried a long list of Android music players, and I found that PlayerPro is the best.

However, the smart playlists feature isn't smart enough for what I'm trying to do. I'd like to build a playlist, such that:

(genre = "Techno" or Genre = "Trance" or Gendre = "House")
and rating >= 4

A possible way to implement this, would be to add a the possibility of a criterion "belongs to playlist". Then the query could be fromulated by two smart playlists:

technolike := genre = "Techno" or Genre = "Trance" or Gendre = "House"
myplaylist := belongs-to "technolike" and rating >= 4

Unfortionately, this would allow recursive, or mutually recursive playlist. The simplest way to deal with them, would be to either disallow recursion, or to limit recursions to, say, 10 steps.

Cheers
Volker
volker-wysk

Re: Smarter playlists

Postby victhor » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:21 pm

It's true, you can't build a Smart playlist made from 2 genres and a specific extra parameter.

I think it can actually be easily solved if instead of a whole "match all / match any" these playlists could be made with "conectors"; AND & OR. Like Winamp has (desktop Winamp, that is).
victhor

Postby Jolous » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:46 am

An alternate solution is more cumbersome to use, but keeps the GUI nice and simple: add rule type "member of playlist", which respects smart playlists.
Jolous

Postby jackpots » Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 pm

Not having Boolean 'AND' or 'OR' in smart-playlist is a complete waste of time. GoneMAD is much better but not perfect either.

That said, this task can be achieved by using exclusions in the genre selection. It will be a pain in the ass if you have many genres as I have.

So if you have genres 'A' through 'J' and you want a playlist to include 'A' and 'B' either with ratings of 4 or 5, do:
● individually exclude genres 'C' through 'J'
● include ratings greater than 3.

For the developer, please include the following:
1. The ability to duplicate a smart-playlist. Just append incrementing numbers to the name of the copy. Building lists as above is often a chore.
2. Add Boolean 'AND' and 'OR' or a Regular Expression function. Some users will hate Regex at first, then it becomes irreplaceable.
3. Export the smart-playlist function. Did I say building these lists can be tedious.
4. Include the 'STYLE' tag as a field to query.
jackpots

Return to Feature requests