Ratings not saved

You can post all your bug reports here. Make sure to include a maximum of information to help ease the investigation.

Re: Ratings not saved

Postby yuko3d » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 pm

jadjam wrote:
Raph wrote: it just seems the applications value takes precedence. For example I had a mp3 rated 3 stars by Windows Media Player, I rated it 1 star using PlayerPro, jumped to the next song then back and it was back to 3 again. It's creating the rating but in a different field to the original WMP field, and this field takes precedence when being read again.

Same issue here!! 2.02 Installed
yuko3d

Postby jadjam » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Tristan, I'm not sure how much work this would be for you but in the options where you select the ratings method, would it be possible to include a setting for each of the popular desktop applications? Then these individual settings could instruct PlayerPro to read and write to the correct corresponding rating field name?

I bought your app as soon as you said you were including ratings, we're so close to having a fantastic synchronised setup! :D
jadjam

Postby Raph » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:55 pm

OK, sorry, I spoke too fast, as I had in fact not tried with a clean file (no rating).

I checked with different files and an hexadecimal editor:

- when the POPM tag is not present, PlayerPro correctly creates it in the file, by the end of the tag header. No problem, the value is read and written correctly by PlayerPro.

- if the POPM tag was already present (in my case, around the beginning of the tag header), PlayerPro writes two POPM tags at the end of the header, one just after the other. The first contains the previous value, and the second contains the value I set with PlayerPro.

I can send you files if you want...
Raph

Postby Raph » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 pm

jadjam wrote:include a setting for each of the popular desktop applications?

It's a shame every application does not stick to the standard, or at least proposes an option for that... It might become difficult to manage, considering the number of alternatives... In other words, Windows Media Player sucks :)
Raph

Postby jadjam » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:54 pm

It's a shame every application does not stick to the standard, or at least proposes an option for that... It might become difficult to manage, considering the number of alternatives... In other words, Windows Media Player sucks :)

Yep, I wish they would. It might be difficult at first but I think the top five should be supported, WMP (still popular amongst those out of the know and to keep things simple), MediaMonkey, J River, Songbird and Winamp. I hate the Apple product walled garden approach but I envy their interoperability between devices sometimes. :mrgreen:

Have you tried Helium Music Manager, I've been taking a look at that to see if it uses the POPM tag. Apparently there's an option to write to it turned off by default. I'll report back when I have some time to try it out!
jadjam

Postby Raph » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:26 pm

jadjam wrote:WMP, MediaMonkey, J River, Songbird and Winamp [...] Apple product

J River and Media Monkey use the right tag (POPM). Looks like WMP uses it too. The big issue is that each program can interpret the stored value in a different way... iTunes use something else. I don't know about the others... It's gonna be hard to make everyone satisfied. Good luck Tristan :)

jadjam wrote:I envy their interoperability between devices sometimes. :mrgreen:

I laugh when you put Apple and interoperability in the same sentence :D If you talk about their own software and devices, that's not interoperability, that's proprietary interfaces... I hate that so much ! I sold my iPhone at Christmas because I hated iTunes and could not comfortably use anything else : J RIver in particular, but accessing your device with Windows explorer on any computer seems also basic to me... There were workarounds with J River, but it was not that easy to maintain. I did not synchrone my iPhone for 6 month :)
Raph

Postby jadjam » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:11 pm

that's not interoperability, that's proprietary interfaces

Yes but the end result is interoperability for the end user if you live in their eco-system. As I said, I don't like their approach, I'd just like to have my music synced without all this hassle!

iTunes use something else. I don't know about the others... It's gonna be hard to make everyone satisfied.

Yeh, they use their own database, not tags. iTunes is out of the question anyway but this is more than keeping everyone satisfied, this about ratings sync working for PlayerPro at all, at present theres just no way of syncing without using the import/export function and that's what I want. :cry:

What I was saying about providing the settings was a way for PlayerPro to read/write the different interpretations of the POPM tag, that's all. Just for a select few, popular desktop applications.
jadjam

Postby stevenmccurdy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Ill chime in on this be too. I am having the same/similar problem. Playerpro can read the tags from mp3 files but won't let me change them(it says they are changed but they don't actually change). On a related note, playerpro doesn't read the ratings from ogg files but it does let me change them. Thanks for the great player, i can't wait until this works! I'm using Ubuntu and this is going to be crucial step in syncing ratings.
stevenmccurdy

Postby playerpro » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi,

I've made several enhancements to the rating system to be able to better support other players' ratings.
As of now, I have tested with WMP and MediaMonkey and the syncing back and forth works fine.

Is anybody using Winamp ? Is there a way to force Winamp to write ratings to music files ? It doesn't look to be supported.

Thks to let me know,
I will integrate all these enhancements in next update.

Rgds,
Tristan
playerpro

Postby jadjam » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:35 am

playerpro wrote:Hi,

I've made several enhancements to the rating system to be able to better support other players' ratings.
As of now, I have tested with WMP and MediaMonkey and the syncing back and forth works fine.

Is anybody using Winamp ? Is there a way to force Winamp to write ratings to music files ? It doesn't look to be supported.

Thks to let me know,
I will integrate all these enhancements in next update.

Rgds,
Tristan

Thank you very much Tristan, much appreciated. :D
jadjam

PreviousNext

Return to Bug reports