Ratings not saved

You can post all your bug reports here. Make sure to include a maximum of information to help ease the investigation.

Ratings not saved

Postby Raph » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi.

I've set the rating system to "Music Files". The ratings are correctly read from the files. But when I try to change them, it seems they are not written to the files.

To reproduce :
- I play a song from a playlist
- I modify a rating (4 -> 5 stars)
- I jump to the next song
- I jump back to the previous song : rating is 4 stars instead of 5.

Anyway, it's really great news that you are implementing this feature, thanks a lot !!

Raph
Raph

Re: Ratings not saved

Postby playerpro » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi,

Saving ratings to music files does not work for mp4/m4a types. Can you check whether it's the case ?
Else plz update to the latest version of PlayerPro (2.02). I did a bug fix in it that prevented this new feature to work when music files contained empty tags.

Rgds,
Tristan
playerpro

Postby Raph » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi.

Thanks for your answer.
I'm mainly using mp3 files. I can try tonight with mp4 files if you want.
When you say "empty tags", do you mean any tag ? Or just the rating tag ? In my case, a rating was already present in the file... I'll try your fixlater, empty battery at the moment :)

Raph
Raph

Postby Raph » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:25 pm

I've just tested the last update (v2.0.2). I can still reproduce this issue... Do you need more info ? Can I generate some kind of logfile ?...
Raph

Postby playerpro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi,

The best is to send me over mail a sample of song that is not working.

Thks,
Tristan
playerpro

Postby jadjam » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:50 am

Hi Tristan,

I'm having the same problem with any mp3 I try, plus I've tried using windows media player and mediamonkey and neither seem to correlate with the ratings on PlayerPro (I do have it set to music files). I've even tried using mp3tag to see which rating tag fields it does read, it seems to read the ones for windows media player and not mediamonkey but it never overwrites the rating. I've tried having no tag and creating a tag manually for playerpro to have something to start with. And I've used a combination of syncing from WMP or dragging and dropping on to the sdcard. Nothing seems to get ratings consistently working with any mp3 I try.

Do you have any suggestions? What's the actual tag field it should be writing to?

Thanks,
Jadon
jadjam

Postby Raph » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:10 am

Same here, does not work with any mp3, whether a rating value already exists in the file or not.
In my case, the value displayed by PlayerPro seems OK, so I guess it's not a problem of wrong tag (read, maybe wrong tag written...). FYI, almost all my mp3 were tagged with J. River Media Center, which seems to use the ID3 "Rating" tag (cf. here).
Raph

Postby jadjam » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:41 am

I think I've figured it out, PlayerPro is definitely writing to the correct tag, 'POPULARIMETER' which is the standard name for the 'POPM' rating field. But this tags rating value is interpreted differently depending on what application you use, so Windows Media Player uses 'Rating WMP' and MediaMonkey uses 'Rating MM' as the names for the field. So both applications correctly read a playerpro written 'POPULARIMETER' tag, but if you change it from within the application, it becomes 'Rating WMP' or 'Rating MM' and is then unreadable by PlayerPro.

More info here [url]http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html[url] and a thread [url]http://forums.mp3tag.de/lofiversion/index.php/t7554.html[url]

Dammit I wish applications would keep to standards. Tristan, is there any way of reading and writing to these individual ways of interpreting the POPM field? It seems that ratings would be unusable without it.
jadjam

Postby Raph » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 pm

It's a completely different issue from mine.
jadjam, did you try the manuipulation I described ? DO you get the same result, or is the rating savec ? You may also observe that the file modification time has changed. By the way, it reminds me that I had checked this point. The modification time had changed, but was set 1 hour in the future...
Raph

Postby jadjam » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Raph wrote:It's a completely different issue from mine.
jadjam, did you try the manuipulation I described ? DO you get the same result, or is the rating savec ? You may also observe that the file modification time has changed. By the way, it reminds me that I had checked this point. The modification time had changed, but was set 1 hour in the future...

By manipulation, do you mean rating a song, jumping to the next one then jump back? If so, then yes I've tried that and it seems to be that this occurs when the mp3 already has a rating made by a desktop application (rating mm, rating wmp etc.)

It's part of the same problem I'm describing, PlayerPro is writing the rating, it just seems the applications value takes precedence. For example I had a mp3 rated 3 stars by Windows Media Player, I rated it 1 star using PlayerPro, jumped to the next song then back and it was back to 3 again. It's creating the rating but in a different field to the original WMP field, and this field takes precedence when being read again.
jadjam

Next

Return to Bug reports